Old June 2nd 05, 08:28 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Elliott Plack, USAR" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Everyday I drive by the auto import yards in Baltimore, MD. I was
> wondering how on earth they keep track of the keys of literally
> thousands of identical cars. Do they leave them all unlocked with the
> keys in the ignition or is there some sort of master key?

A lot of the dealerships have a key vault which is computer controlled,
the keys are attached to a special plastic keyring which has a sensor in it,
that is how the computer knows when the correct key has been put back
in the vault. The people check the keys for the vehicles in and out using
this system.

Ted