Old September 6th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »[_1_]

Default Diesel Fuel Tank Corrosion Issue

Barath wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your immediate respose.
>
> Yes we considered the use of terne coated steels initially but due to
> environmental standards in place had to drop them. With regards to HDPE
> tanks esp via rotomolding .. The process by itself dosent allow
> reasonable costs associated with them esp in high production volume. So
> is the reason behind coatings that would inhibit this corrosion
> process.
>
> Also we are seeing this active corrosion in rectangular fuel tanks
> while our cylindrical counterparts dosent seem to experience any
> service failure. Is it because of the reduced contact area of the
> water. ??

Metal tends to corrode/rust where it is most stressed, like sharp bends and seams.
Be careful with heavy metals in diesel. The sulfur reacts with the metal. That
is why diesel fuel systems are black iron.
Put this into Google and follow up on the links:
diesel fuel tank coating
Email a friend of mine - he may be able to help:

Put the o back in hotmail.com for it to work.
He is in Calcutta now and will be returning to Houston October.