Old August 14th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Does this sound like a serious problem?

In article > ,
Jules > wrote:
> Anyway seen a auto 525 diesel. it says the gearbox is fine but with
> 'The automatic gearbox sometimes does not accelerate from
> rest/standstill if the transmission gets very hot.' He then says '

> Q: is the auto box knackered??? 11-Aug-06 A: No not at all. It
> accelerates and changes up and down plus kickdown etc fine. As I've
> stated, sometimes when things get very hot, it doesn't accelerate from
> rest in drive (when this happens, can creep along and build up speed,
> then it works fine again and will change and accelerate normally at
> speed etc).

That sounds like a clutch isn't disengaging fully and it is trying to be
in two gears at once, as it were.

The cost of fixing most auto faults is in the labour of removing and
stripping, so it's usual to just fit a fully re-conditioned box. Which
will be something like 1500 gbp for that car.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.