Old May 18th 05, 05:28 AM
DaveW

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> Thanks, sounds like you missed the free love, pier, and the groovin'
> Hippy pads on the canal.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

I was a bit young for that, but got a taste. When Mom met my stepdad, he
rented a 3 bedroom house on Howland Canal for $85 a month. (1968 I was 6
years old).

But I remember Venice when the boardwalk was just a zoo and not a
circus. My stepdad, though he was an asshole (he's been dead for 20
years now) was a writer, poet, and sign painter. More of a beatnick than
a hippy. He used to do standup poetry readings back in the 60s at the
local night spots, and was on the same bill with George Carlin a few
times. I do rememer Olivia's, the soul food restaurant that was where
the "heritage square" is now in Santa Monica, on Main Street. This is
the place that the Doors song "Soul Kitchen" was based on.

My sister was more into all the "counter culture" stuff, as she is 8
years older than me. We had a band practicing in our garage for a while,
because she was dating the lead singer. The drummer went on to the band
Ambrosia. They keyboardist used to babysit me, lol.

I remember P.O.P. and the Watts riots. Mom was working at Good Samaritan
Hospital the night they brought Bobby Kennedy in. I remember Marina Del
Rey when it was still a swamp. And I remember going to Seaworld in 1968
right after it opened, with Mom and Grandma, while Dad, my new stepmom
and the older kids went to Europe. Dad gave Mom something like $300 (a
forture in those days) for a weekend. We rode the Santa Fe, took taxis
in San Diego and the occasional bus, crammed with sailors on leave. We
stayed at the Hyatt Islandia which was also brand new.

My stepdad took some regular 8mm movies in Venice in the mid 1960s,
mostly converging on anything over a C cup, but also taking in the other
scenery. Mom found it in her attic up in Oregon, after he passed away,
and we had it converted to VHS. It is around here somewhere. Cool stuff!

Best Regards,

DAve
--91 XJ, ABS working, at the moment!