Old June 24th 05, 09:22 PM

Default 99 Jetta A3 - OBD connector cannot read

Why did I let my son talk me into buying a used Volkswagen. OK, here
is my latest disaster problem. Went to have the car inspected. It
fails because the shop cannot get any readings from the OBD connector.
So I go home and check the fuse. It's good. Then I turn the ignition
on, and no check engine light is lit. So it sounds like I have a
short. I figured let me check the connector at the ECM, but I can't
find the ECM. Where is it? According to the Volswagen service manual,
it should be somewhere at the left side of the engine compartment, but
there is nothing there. Can someone help me here?

Also, any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem. I don't have
any special tools, just a multimeter.