Old July 18th 05, 02:32 PM
Mike Romain

Our 'new' fan clutch just gave up the ghost. They (DC) are selling
really crappie parts these days. Ours is only about 4 years old.

To test the fan clutch, heat up the engine fully and have someone shut
it down while you watch the fan. A working clutch will stop the fan
almost instantly. If it keeps spinning, replace. Or shove a screw in
the SOB to make it a fixed fan like I think I am gong to do. If their
crappie parts only last 3 or 4 years, screw them.

I would get a cheap hydrometer to check the antifreeze. Playing a
guessing game with it is a sure way to destroy the engine. Too thick
will overheat, 50/50 is best for all round use.

'I' sure wouldn't swap oil types unless mine turned into an oil burner.
We have over 300K on ours and 10W30 still only uses a liter between
changes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's