Old September 2nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Default Dodge Dynasty engine locked

wrote:
> Battery has full charge. pulling 12.77v, the starter shows 12.54.
> Replaced the starter, checked all wires. Everything seems fine.
> Still get loud click. No missing teeth on the flywheel. Can turn the
> flywheel manually.
> Really lost now....

Hi...

Not a mechanic, not even close. Just an old retired electrical
guy. Worse, on my first ever lifetime Chrysler product, so don't
know them yet either.

However, 2 cents worth, take it for just what it's worth.

From the facts that you give, I have no choice but to assume
that Chrysler starters must be changeable without changing
the solenoid. If that's the case, the solenoid is bad.

If that's not the case, then consider giving this a shot:

Put your meter across the battery, read the voltage, and
leave it connected. Have someone else try to crank the
engine while you watch the meter, and...

if the meter drops waaay down, less than let's say 10 volts,
then the battery and/or connections/and or cable is bad.

if the meter drops only a tiny bit, just a little, and
you don't hear the starter motor free spinning then the
solenoid is bad and/or the connection to the starter
is bad and/or the cable to the starter is bad.

if the meter drops only a tiny bit and you do hear
the starter motor free spinning, then the solenoid is
bad.

I'd betcha a dollar against a stale donut that the
solenoid is bad, and needs changing.

If dollars are tight, and you're a bit handy, there's
a good chance that you can "rebuild" the solenoid
yourself. There will be a contact (or two) in the
solenoid that makes connection to the starter motor
when it engages. I think you can probably clean up
those contacts and be good to go.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken