Old September 28th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Charlie Giannetto[_1_]

Default Timing Belt Failure 43K Certified 2001.5 Celebration Edition Ultra Sport

Indeed you were lucky they did perform the recall inspection as
the 98 A4 1.8T had a problem not with the timing belt specifically but
with the timing belt tensioner. The tensioner design was flawed and
more than a few tensioner failures were reported in the AudiWorld
forums. The general consensus was to replace the timing belt and
tensioner (along with the water pump impeller and other belts while
you're in there) by 60,000 miles.

I'm very glad to hear that Audi did right by you.

- Charlie
04 S4 MT6
06 A4 Avant 2.0T Tip (the wife's ride)

In article .com>,