Old June 21st 05, 07:36 AM
72yellow

"who_me" wrote:
> Princess418 > wrote:
> > Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had

> my car
> > inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived

> it. I had
> > an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a

> month I
> > toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal

> work and
> > complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then

> before. So it
> > was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel

> the shaking
> > but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting

> to feel
> > uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could

> be ??? I
> > was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly.

> Also, is this
> > a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000

> on this
> > problem. Thanks for your help.

> Resurfacing rotors is a bad idea, if they are truly "warped",
> the best
> thing to do is replace both the rotors and pads and properly
> break them
> in. "Warping" is caused by allowing the pads to touch the
> rotor when
> its not spinning when the rotor is hot. In otherwords, if you
> have to
> stop hard try to avoid coming to a complete stop. The rotors
> are not
> going to cause the car to shake if the brakes aren't applied.
> Also,
> you should make sure that all nug bolts are properly torqued,
> 80 ft lbs
> is good. I suppose its conceivable a dragging brake could
> also cause
> shaking, but thats less likely.
>
> There are a large number of possible problems, some of which
> could be very
> hazardous, others could be non-critical. The cost to repair
> completely
> depends on the problem, but they could include:
>
> 1) Worn out suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends,
> strut bearings)
> 2) Improperly torqued bolts/nuts on suspension components
> 3) Improperly torqued lug bolts
> 4) Defective tire
> 5) Defective wheel
> 6) Improperly balanced tire/wheel assembly
> 7) Improper alignment
> 8) Car is not straight (should be detectable when they do an
> alignment)
>
> It shouldn't be hard to find the problem, maybe you need to
> find a better
> mechanic. Usually, if the problem is simply a vibration at
> high speed
> its tires, wheels, balance or improperly torqued lug bolts.
>
> dan

does improper torque cause a further problem besides shaking? I have
similar problem and jus beginning to look into it. I had a flat tire
and found out I couldn’t get the tire off because it was put on too
tightly. Have been a little nervous that this has caused another
problem.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict122513.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=611008