Old October 24th 04, 06:35 PM
GRL

Maybe. Design for racing where money is no object (especially F1) and
engines have short lifetimes between rebuilds is pretty different from
designing for street use where people expect engines to last for a decade
with little maintenance and money is very definitely an object.

Whatever. They screwed the pooch on this one.

George Litwinski"

John Carrier" > wrote in message
> SNIP
>
> > By way of comparison the 2 liter four in the Honda S2000 makes more

power
> > per liter than the BMW S54 engine, revs way higher, needs to be revved
> > high
> > to make any real power (so it is likely to spend more time at high

revs),
> > has variable valve timing and it has been bullet-proof. I think BMW

could
> > learn a thing or two about high specific output, high rpm engine design
> > from
> > the engineers at Honda, in this case. I guess it makes sense since Honda
> > has
> > way more experience with very high rpm, very high specific output

engines
> > than BMW (via their motorcycles...and even the high revving NSX that has
> > been around for over a decade).

> I think they could have done just as well learning from their own

engineers
> in the GP engine effort. Specific output of the 3 liter GP engine is a

bit