Old March 14th 05, 05:02 PM
Jeff Strickland

You just learned not to tkae your car to the dealership. I would find a good
BMW authorized mechanic that knows your car, and let him do all of the stuff
you can't do yourself. He'll be thrilled to reset the Service Indicator for
free if he gets your other business.

Having said that, the indicator is reset by taking Pin 7 to ground when the
key is set to ON, but not START.

"Stan Dowiat" > wrote in message
> I'm a first time BMW owner. We just got a 97 528 with 110 k miles. I got
> it for $9,500 and it looks very sharp, runs and drives very well and we
> quickly discovered the appeal of driving a BMW. We knew when we bought it
> that there were a few things needing fixed; 1 window window regulator,
> climate control display, remote trunk release.... There are a couple of
> guys in the area who specialize in working / restoring BMW's. The repairs
> we need to make will cost about $1,250 plus it's going to need tires soon.
> Do you think I got a reasonable deal?
>
> After having the BMW dealer price a 4 wheel alignment at $181, then

finding
> that a local tire store could do a good job for $49 I'm betting that there
> are very few reasons I would ever take my 97 528 with 111,000 k miles to

the
> dealer. A guy at work said an installed battery would cost about $300.

> found a BMW site which tells what type brand of $100 Diehard fits and

works
> fine. Are these kind of price at the dealerships normal?
>
> Usually I change the oil in our cars myself. On the BMW there are the
> "service lights" on the dash that come on and tell you how long till

ervice