Old March 14th 05, 06:51 PM
The Malt Hound

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> The Malt Hound <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Stepping in here, I would say; it depends. The only real alignment
>> "adjustment" on your car is the front toe-in. They can usually get
>> that right OK. In fact I usually do this myself (after suspension
>> or
>> steering work) and can get it "close enough" with fishing line and
>> ruler.

> Not my experience at all - if you want the steering wheel to be
> 'straight'
> afterwards.

Well, I guess I must be better with the fishing line than you are
Dave. ;-)

Actually, the wheel may not be perfectly straight the first time, but
as you noted you just have to adjust both sides the same amount
(different directions) until it does. The fishing-line method seems a
more accurate technique than the try-to-measure-through-the-oil-sump
method.

-Fred W

I really should do a webpage write up on it some day (with groovy
pictures of course).