Old August 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew Russotto

Default Poetic Justice

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>Having a son who graduated high school a couple of years ago, I know
>EXACTLY how big a stigma it is for high school kids to ride the school
>bus these days. This judge is BRILLIANT - I hope to see her on the
>Supreme Court one day.
>
>http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/outpu...nws-bus14.html
>
>Punishment for teen drivers: riding the bus
>
>August 14, 2006
>
>PORTAGE, Ind. -- A judge fed up with teen traffic violators is hitting
>them where it hurts -- in the driver's seat -- by sentencing them to
>the embarrassment of riding the school bus.
>
>Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent got the idea after a girl in her
>court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously
>either the offense or the possible fine.
>
>The judge said she knew she had found a way to reach the teen after
>she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus.
>
>''The girl cried outside my courtroom. I guess I found the right
>button,'' said Jent.
>
>Jent not only orders teens ages 16 to 18 to ride the school bus
>instead of driving to school -- she also warns their parents that they
>could be held in contempt if they drive their child to school.
>
>''Kid does crime, kid does time, and mom and dad can't get them out of
>it and don't have to feel guilty for not helping,'' Jent said.

Same problem with this as with pretty much all "creative" punishments
-- unequal justice under the law.

I'm sure the law doesn't prescribe "riding the school bus" as a
penalty for moving violations. I'm also a bit concerned that a judge
thinks that making the defendant cry is a proper measure of her sentencing.

>The judge has told every law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction
>that all moving traffic citations involving drivers age 16 to 18 must
>go before her.

There's that "unequal justice"

>If the teens are found guilty, she orders them to ride the bus instead
>of driving to school. If they comply, the case is dismissed.

Ahh. So there's how she gets around the lack of a prescribed penalty.

>If they don't -- and Jent has been checking with schools and bus
>drivers to make sure -- then the teens' licenses are suspended and
>they are fined.

And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.
result in a fully-depreciated one.