Old September 7th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_1_]

Default Speed limits on gravel roads?

"morticide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This question came up in a friend's letter to the editor in my hometown
> newspaper. He had inquired with the state patrol about what the speed
> limit was on county gravel roads; the response was that it's the same
> as on the highways. The writer cited an incident in which someone was
> flying down the gravel at at least 50 and hit a dog...and kept going,
> right in front of witnesses.
>
> I used to live on a gravel road, and anything faster than 35 on most of
> them in northern Missouri is asking for trouble (dust, control loss).
> Some locations, probably by county law, post a 35 speed limit. The
> only gravel road I know of that has a posted speed limit higher than
> that is AK 11 at 50.
>
> I would imagine that enforcement would be rare as it would be under the
> jusridiction of the sherriff's department.

In NC, the speed limit for a rural (non-residential, non-business) dirt
roads would be 55 unless otherwise posted. I own a farm on what used to be a
very isolated dirt road. I drive 50+ on it all the time with no loss of
control. However, the road has one very sharp unmarked curve - and it you
hit that at 55, you will probably die (and someone did last year). They are
going to pave the road this year. Since it is isolated and has two 2 mile
long straight-aways connected by a very sharp curve, I am expecting a lot of
accidents at this curve after the road is paved. In the last few years
developments have opened up at the far end of the road, and apparently
people from the North can't drive. I've never seen such rude impatient
people in my life. If they could keep a d%^& car in the road, it might not
be so bad, but not only are many of them rude and impatient, they also can't
drive worth a d^&*. Sooner or later one of them is going to clip a piece of
farm equipment when they try to make a zoom pass and someone is going to
die. I just hope I am not involved. Here is a piece of advice for all you
uber drivers on rural roads - When you catch a piece of farm equipment make
sure the operator sees you before you try to streak past him at 80 mph in a
blind curve or a no passing zone. I've had losers come up behind me out of a
blind curve, run off the road in an effort to pass me and almost clip me as
they try to whip it back in the proper lane. If I see you coming, I'll get
out of your way, but give me a second to get off on the shoulder.

Ed