Old January 3rd 05, 10:09 PM
Steve

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> In article .com>,
> says...
>

>>I've recently ordered (delivery in late February) a freightliner
>>sportchassis medium duty truck (22.5X8.25 10-bolt wheels with Michelin
>>XRV 255/80R22.5 14-ply tires) to tow a trailer while I'm retired and
>>fulltiming in the RV. The truck has air brakes and air ride and
>>includes a quick disconnect fitting with hose for a tire inflation kit.
>>With this set-up I thought it might be a good idea to pruchase an air
>>impact wrench to periodically check/tighten the lug nuts on the truck
>>and trailer. However, after the research I've conducted (this is a
>>VERY confusing topic for a newbee) I'm not so sure this is as good an
>>idea as I thought. I do not anticipate using the impact wrench for any
>>other task. Other maintenance I do I can handle with my ratchet,
>>breaker bar, and/or cheater pipe.
>>
>>Is an impact wrench the tool I should be considering?
>>If so, would an Ingersoll Rand 1/2" or 3/4" wrench (model #?)be
>>correct?
>>Or, is a good torque wrench a better choice?

If you're just going to CHECK the torque, a torque wrench is the correct
tool and an impact wrench is dead wrong.

However, if I had a rig like that with on-board air always available,
I'd darn sure have a good impact wrench just for CHANGING tires! I hate
heaving on a lug wrench and use my impact for all my tire changing needs
in my garage. Also, smaller impact wrenches, butterfly impact wrenches,
air drills, and air grinders are a thousand times more useful than I
ever would have imagined them to be before I got a good compressor years
ago.