Old September 1st 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default Direction GM's taking Saturn

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:12:46 GMT, "Private" >
> wrote:
>
>>If I am going to buy a
>>standard GM product, I want to be able to purchase my parts from my
>>standard
>>GM parts (wholesale price) dealer.

> Do not bank on this too much as I have a friend that is a manager with
> Advanced Auto and he told me that in 2006 GM patented a LOT of new
> parts so that they will be dealer only and they add to list every
> years so buy a new GM will not be much better than a Saturn
> aftermarket parts wise. I have owned GM's for over 30 years (and
> jeeps for over 20 years and a few other brands for less but I think
> that I have about bought my last GM product unless they can really
> turn their act around.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Bad news, but I was not talking about aftermarket parts or dealers. It has
always bugged me that while my genuine GM parts GM dealer is happy to sell
me my GM truck and car parts wholesale, they are unable to get Saturn parts
through their normal (excellent) GM parts pipeline. Many simple parts that
are cheap from GM (like horns and fuel filters) are exorbitant (and usually
full retail) from a Saturn dealer. Aftermarket Saturn parts (when
available) are much more expensive than equivalent (and widely available)
aftermarket GM parts.

I have been a GM (Chevy) fan for most of my life but do not like their
reliance on fuel guzzling high margin luxury pickups and SUVs. Their high
performance vehicles do get remarkably good fuel economy (when driven
conservatively) but they have decided not to produce small, light, super
fuel efficient vehicles and have abandoned the mini station wagon which I
find is by far the most utilitarian body type combining good performance
(because of weight) good handling (because of weight and low CG) and great
economy (because of weight) and easy to park (because of size) but still
versatile and big enough to pack a significant load (particularly with a
roof rack and front mount rack for long loads) and are very comfortable to
sleep in.

GM killed the EV1 (and made Saturn carry the bad PR) and has failed to
develop hybrid and/or small turbo diesel engines like the VW TDI. If Saturn
still made the S series SW but with a small TDI (70 mpg) (or maybe hybrid),
I would be a buyer.

YMMV