Old July 8th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid

Cougar wrote:

> My owners manual for a 2001 Dodge Intrepid said use ATF + 4.
> I havn't seen it. Is it the same as ATF DEXTRON H ???

There's Dexron (not "Dextron") H, the successor to Dexron III, but
according Exxon-Mobil it is NOT an acceptable substitute for Chrysler
ATF+4:

http://www.mobil.com/usa-English/Lub...il_ATF_D_M.asp

Exxon-Mobil now seems to have a fluid that is an approved substitute
for Chrysler ATF+4, called "Multi-Vehicle ATF":

http://www.mobil.com/USA-ENGLISH/Lub...ehicle_ATF.asp

However the link above doesn't specifically mention ATF+4 so I would
contact 1-800-ASK--MOBIL before putting even an ounce of Multi-Vehicle
ATF in a Chrysler 4-speed or 5-speed automatic transmision. Be sure
it's compatible with ATF+4, a synthetic, and not just ATF+3, which is
not synthetic (at least not completely synthetic). Also do not
substitute another transmission fluid or add a friction modifier, such
as Lubeguard, to common Dexron III/Dexron H since Chrysler does not
approve it, and don't listen to people who say they work perfectly
well, unless they'll put up a bond to guarantee all repairs to your
transmission. $7 a quart for the correct ATF+4 fluid isn't much of a
price premium to protect a transmisson known its higher than average
failure rate (a new fluid specification every 2-3 years means Chrysler
knows the design is bad) and to keep its warranty in effect.
Transmissions aren't as tolerant of the wrong lubricants as engines
are.