Old July 23rd 05, 06:08 AM
Steve B.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:43:55 GMT, "SMoo" >
wrote:

>The other day I went to get a new battery for my car, and on the way it
>overheated.

Well the bad news is that after overheating it like this a few times
you probably have bigger problems than the original cooling problem.
Modern engines can not tolerate being overheated like the old 60's
iron could.

The problem could be many things:
Fan(s) not working properly
Clogged radiator (unlikely in a sudden onset case like this)
Collapsing hoses
Failed water pump
blown head gasket

When the light comes on or the gauge goes to H pull over, turn the
heat on high and rev the engine a little bit. If the temp doesn't
start coming right down shut the engine off and have it towed to a
place where it can be repaired or you can repair it. Severely
overheating an engine will warp the head, cause the head gasket to
blow, play hell on the bearings and cause the pistons to scuff the
heck out of the bores.

Steve B.