Old March 9th 06, 05:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 87 325is issue...

I think there is a shaft extension on the transmission that engages a
bushing in the driveshaft to assure proper alignment of the driveshaft
regardless of the condition of the guibo. I suppose the bushing could be
damaged but I haven't seen that happen. Psycho, could you try to explain
what you mean by hop type vibration? At what speeds is it apparent? Is
there any accompanying noise?
I had an experience on my 318i where it developed a vibration that seemed
to be at the same frequency as the drive shaft rotation. It was most
pronounced at about 35 mph where the car 'sounded like a pickup truck with
snow tires on it'. After removing the drive shaft and finding nothing wrong
I discovered the problem to be a front wheel bearing. The balls rolling
over the dent in the inner race just happened to be at the same frequency as
the drive shaft and the impulse was resonating with the coil spring
producing quite a loud noise.
Anyway good luck finding it.
Jack