Old July 22nd 05, 12:58 AM
James C. Reeves

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just got an Impala last night (company car... not actually mine, mine
> is at a dealership somewhere because someone who was supposed to do
> some paperwork was on vacation... but I digress) ANYWAY... any doubt
> in my mind that the automatic headlights are a bad idea has now been
> erased. When you leave the vehicle, the lights stay on for 30 seconds
> or so... SO... when you look back at it to check to see if you left
> your lights on it freaks you out for a minute, until you tell yourself
> "oh, it's just the automatic lights"
>
> BUT...
>
> what if you really *did* leave them on?

My neighbor's daughter can tell you. She came out to a dead battery in her
Aztek a time or two. Which might explain why she would leave out of the
neighborhood on some foggy mornings with dark taillights...just like her dad
does in his Impala.

It is curious why GM engineered the lights to remain on for a period of time
by default after cutting the engine. The Chrysler products I own now have
the off delay as a option. IF you turn the lights off before cutting the
engine, the lights go out immediately. If you turn the lights off *after*
cutting the engine, they will stay on for a minute or so, then go out. So
if you need the illumination, you have it. Otherwise cut the lights
immediately.

> talk about an incentive to never manually turn on your headlights, even
> when they may be needed... (rain, etc.)

According to Chris, that will never happen anyway. Let us know your
experience after a few months.