Old March 8th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default DexCool

"Jack Hayes" > wrote in message
> What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool. My sons
> Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was because

of
> the dexcool antifreeze used, of course GM said the dealer was wrong.
>
> Jack

This has been one of the longest threads on this newsgroup.

Here is, in a nutshell, what I think we believe about DexCool:
(I) Certain GM engines have problems that will likely lead to leakage,
regardless
of what coolant is used. These include certain 3800 V6's, and the 2.8,3.1,
3.4 V6's.
The 3800 problem is different from the other series. It can leak because of
deteriorated plastic FI plenum and has nothing to do with Dexcool.

(II)The other V6 series most likely leaks because of (1) some basic design
problems
and (2) because of the use of a gasket which does not hold up well. It has
been
claimed that this happened when GM went to a gasket that no longer contained
asbestos. Others claim Dexcool is involved. I rather doubt that Dexcool
is
the culprit, but others swear it is.