Old September 6th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Default 90 Chev 1/2 ton brake question

Mike Romain wrote:
> Normally there is a right and left adjuster. If you got these mixed up,
> the brakes might actually be adjusted the wrong way which would give you
> an extremely low pedal and could cause the cylinders to leak from being
> over extended. The cylinder pistons can actually fall out causing total
> failure too.
>
> This could just happen if you didn't manually adjust up the shoes when
> installing also. If they are out of adjustment all the way, the self
> adjuster won't usually grab them. They need to be manually set up close
> or better, exact first.
>
> Mike

thanks Mike.

we did one side at a time, so unless they were done wrong before... I
can't have mixed up the parts.

I didn't adjust them at all, I usually just do the backup/stop thing.

The wheel cylinders are only like $20 so I'm going to change them as a
preemptive thing (wife is picking them up today while I'm at work), and
I'll be sure to adjust the brakes as per the shop manual.

Ray