Old September 13th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Default 90 Chev 1/2 ton brake question

Mike Romain wrote:
> ray wrote:
>> ssggbroot wrote:
>>> On your truck, you are right in that when you pushed the pistons in- you
>>> probly rode over some junk. but also pushing the wheel cylinders in may
>>> have caused some air to be sucked into the cylinder.
>>> If you haven't installed the new ones yet, try bleeding each one till
>>> you get a good steady drip.
>>> And as the other guy stated, adjust your brakes up with the adjuster,
>>> backing up will never bring them up to where they should be.
>>> Extend the adjusted a few clicks and try to slide the drum on, if its
>>> still loose-adjust alittle more. once they are adjusted properly you
>>> will hear the shoes just rubbing against the drum-but will be able to
>>> turn the drum freely.
>>> If after all of this, the pedal is still low and the brake light/abs
>>> light is still on, you may have a baddump valve. the chey trucks are
>>> famous for this valve going out for the slightest reason. I've replaced
>>> many over the years, I'm a brake and front end mechanic.
>>>

>> ok, I replaced both wheel cylinders, both hard lines, and the flex line
>> to the frame. bled them and bled them and still have a soft pedal that
>> pumps up. The master cylinder went dry when I ran out of parts and it
>> sat overnight, so we cracked the lines and bled it too. Didn't bleed
>> the dump valve - according to the manual it should have a bleeder, but
>> it doesn't. Do I need to have this thing pressure bled or something?
>>
>> There are no more leaks, and the truck was stopping fine (well at least
>> as good as it could with grease soaked brake shoes.)
>>
>> Ray

> Did you manually adjust the rear brakes? You cannot get a solid high
> pedal with the rear brakes unadjusted. You will have to pump them up.
>
> Does the emergency brake work now?
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

I manually adjusted the rears until there's a bit of drag with the drums
on. The pedal is just really soft - just resting your foot on it will
cause it to sink to the floor.

The ebrake doesn't work because I changed all the cables but have not
yet had the time to adjust it. I haven't driven the truck either other
than testing the brakes around the block - I just don't like the pedal
feel. Been too busy trying to get the race car ready for the last race.
(broken axle + cam swap.)

Maybe I'll pull the drums again and double check the rear adjusters,
it's just it feels like there's air in there or something.

Ray