Old January 29th 05, 01:02 PM
Kruse

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Had done a trans fluid and filter replacement on a 89 mercury
> cougar,Had dropped the pan and found a plastic plunger about an 1 1/2
> inches long in the pan? Couldnt figure where it went back. Found out
> the factory put them in for some reason, but was not needed, got me

on
> that one, lol

You and about a million other people. The plug covers the dipstick tube
during shipping from the trans factory to the assembly line. The
assemblers just push it in instead of pulling it out when installing
the dipstick tube. I'm sure a lot of tranny oil changes have been help
up because of the "extra" part.