Old September 10th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:02:30 -0700, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>Dave Head > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>>What am I missing?

>>What some people get is, I think, an opportunity to not start something that
>>they have no idea how it is going to end. For the price of 30 seconds, we get
>>less hassle in our daily lives. Getting somewhere 30 seconds earlier isn't
>>worth the price of the eventualities of attempting to use personal force to
>>make something happen your own way, even if you're right.

>What do you mean by "personal force?" You make it sound like I got out
>of my car and beat the **** out of these MFFYs with a baseball bat!

Was talking in general, not precisely about you or anyone else.

Personal force would be physically attempting to stop someone from doing
something.

>>Using personal force is generally illegal.

>Irrelevant, since I haven't used it.

Just in general...

>>Doing something like using your car
>>to limit their driving back and forth might be construed in court as agressive
>>driving.

>You must be speaking generally, as I have not used any "personal
>force," nor have I been involved in any altercations.

Right... generally / hypothetically.

>>What would I have done? Probably used the "other way" lane

>In other words, you would have done exactly what I did the other day:

Uh - huh.

>Ordinarily, I would have done the same thing, but I decided to try my
>little experiment. The funny thing is, these JLEDI are *never* happy -
>they complain when I escape the MFFYs, and they complain when I just
>sit there and take it, even though that's what they claim they WANT me
>to do. It's beginning to appear as though some people just like to
>argue and provoke fights (i.e. they are trolls wearing JLEDI robes).

Usenet is a great place to provoke a fight and generally bitch about things...
<G>

>>hell, its just a
>>parking lot, not a police-patrolled street. Not likely to get a ticket. Doing
>>that avoids confrontation that is unpredictable in its outcome.

>My feelings exactly.

>[More preaching to the choir omitted.]
>
>>As for parking lots, I regularly attempt to use pathways that avoid interacting
>>with other people at all. There's a Home Depot where there's the regular
>>entrance that everyone uses, that goes right in front of the store, and the 2nd
>>entrance, that deliveries and other people use. Its a little farther down the
>>road, but... the 1st entrance is characterized by people entering it and, 90%
>>of the time, finding some reason to stop and sit there. Drives me insane.

>OH MY GOD, DAVE!!! YOU'RE A PRIME CANDIATE FOR A HEART ATTACK!!!

Yeppir! <G>

>(Or so my "fan club" would have you believe.)
>
>The reality is, EVERYBODY feels this way when other people needlessly
>interfere with our progress. The only difference between me and
>everyone else is that I post about my experiences on USENET.

>>Sooo... I pass up that entrance, go into the truck entrance, and approach the
>>parking from the _other_ end of the lanes of parking, and I'm parked and into
>>the building before these others in the other end of lot get moving again. As
>>much as possible, I treat every parking lot like that.

>Same here. While the lazy people are all circling like sharks for the
>"choice" spaces close to the front door, I have already parked in the
>wide open area where nobody else parks (but which is still highly
>visible to passers-by to discourage vandalism and theft) and am
>already walking inside the building.

Good idea!

>>Much faster, and I don't 1)
>>**** off someone else nor 2) get ****ed off myself. I _value_ not being ****ed
>>off... it _always_ is an unpleasant experience, and I try to avoid those.

>I couldn't agree more. Which is why I will escape the clutches of MFFY
>whenever possible, rather than sit there getting angry and frustrated.

I enjoy foiling them. That is, when they're trying to block, I'll endeavor to
escape. I figure being frustrated in their attempt to frustrate me will give
them some sorta heartburn, the thought of which makes me happy.

Had a big backup on I-74 south of Indianapolis once. There was an exit about
1/4 mile up the road, and having put on a road rally in the area, and knowing
about every back road there was around there, I knew that if I got to that
exit, I could parallel the interestate for about 10 miles and go around
whatever the delay was. I pulled into the breakdown lane to pass everyone and
access the exit, and asshole trucker pulls into the breakdown lane just to
block me. WTF does he care that I get down the road? Anyway, I just drove the
AWD Eclipse into the wide, shallow, grassy ditch and continued. Was hoping to
see him attempt to block me there - that damn rig would probably have rolled
over in the soft dirt... but he didn't. Pity. If it ****ed him off, then my
strategy worked...

Dave Head