Old September 11th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

Default I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> brink wrote:

m...

>>>If someone in good faith goes into an open travel lane only to "discover"
>>>(your word) that the lane closes after having passed other traffic, it's
>>>hard to fault them. It's an open travel lane, after all, and if everyone
>>>is merging correctly, they won't cause the backup to worsen in any case.

>> I'm not referring to an open travel lane, I'm referring to the paved or
>> unpaved shoulder which isn't an "open travel lane" in most states. It's
>> for emergency use only, and under any definition I sure wouldn't call it
>> open season for queue-jumping.
>>

>>>Now people who use ramps to do this are another matter, and if they end
>>>up stuck at the end of a ramp until the heat death of the universe, eh,
>>>no skin off my nose.

>> Agreed.

>>>You mean, like a directional signal?

>> Problem is, the directional signal is ambiguous. People will turn on
>> their signal and drive for a mile in that lane just to bypass traffic and
>> try to cut in ahead when someone lets the "poor guy" in.
>>
>> What's really too bad is what happens to guys like Dave who are -- in my
>> opinion, legitimately -- bypassing traffic just to make an *exit* 1000
>> feet ahead. No sense waiting in line when the exit is wide open and I'd
>> guess most other drivers don't have a problem with it either. What most
>> of us have a problem with is the people who abuse the privilege, so to
>> speak, of driving on the shoulder.
>>
>> brink

> There's an easy solution to that problem; watch your mirrors, and don't
> let anyone in that didn't come down an onramp.

tough to see that sometimes. These queues can stretch a *long* ways and if
there's say a big truck behind you -- or a bend in the road that is carrying
the roadway toward the left.

The other problem is that you and I won't let those people in, but of course
all it takes is one weak link in the chain. People know this and exploit
it. Which can *really* worsen the jam...

brink