Old August 29th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

Default Direction GM's taking Saturn

J B wrote:

> For one thing I didn't realize Saturn was doing away with the Polymer
> side panels that help prevent dents. According to the saleslady it was a
> "division that was losing money" and the owners who don't like the
> change are basically crybabies. hah.

The saleslady has a point. GM is not an unlimited source of money for
ventures that never generate any return for the corporation. It simply
isn't financially possible for a small division to do it's own unique
designs for low volume products. The polymer panels have been
problematic from the very beginning, and were much more expensive to
manufacture, even though the raw material was marginally cheaper. They
may also have contributed to Saturn's relatively poor crash test
performance.

> With the exportation of American jobs overseas there there's a
> bigger market than ever for a really affordable car.

Yes, this is why Honda and Toyota are successfully building affordable
cars in the U.S.. The styling may not be exciting, but they are
reliable, fuel efficient, and relatively inexpensive. You can still get
an entry-level Camry or Accord for around $16,000, and it will easily
last 15 years with minimal maintenance.