Old February 26th 05, 06:49 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:
> In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
>neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
>intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection (I would
>only put it on the bottom leg of the T). Are drivers too stupid to realize
>what yielding is, why do they have to resort to this pathetic hand holding
>of putting stopsigns everywhere? And alot of the time there's a cop there,
>so to me I think it's nothing but a trap. Because you never see any of the
>speeders out on the road being busted, probably too much work compared to
>just parking behind a stopsign and waiting. Without the stopsign, a driver
>could cruise right down the street without having to stop, idle the engine,
>and waste fuel accelerating again.

The former traffic engineer in Newton, Massachusetts rarely met a stop
sign he didn't like. He recommended multiway stop signs if traffic
volume was half of the the MUTCD warrant to start considering a
multiway stop. There is a formula out of San Diego counting points
for various intersection and traffic conditions that traffic engineers
can use if they want a stop sign but there is no legitimate reason to
install one. The new traffic engineer votes against the most
unwarranted stop signs. And the city still installs them.

--
John Carr )