Old July 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Coasty[_1_]

Default Was Chrysler First with ABS?

"MoPar Man" > wrote in message
> Zentraleinheit wrote:
>
>> I remember reading somewhere that Chrysler Offered an ABS system
>> on at least one of its big cars in the late 60' or early 70's.

> My '73 Chrysler/Plymouth service manual has a section on an ABS
> system. It was probably an option on the VIP and Newport.

Nope,
Anti-lock braking systems were first developed for aircraft. An early system
was Dunlop's Maxaret system, introduced in the 1950s and still in use on
some aircraft models. This was a fully mechanical system. It saw limited
automobile use in the 1960s in the Ferguson P99 racing car, the Jensen FF
and the experimental all wheel drive Ford Zodiac, but saw no further use;
the system proved expensive and, in automobile use, somewhat unreliable. The
first car (worldwide) to have ABS fitted as standard (across the entire
range) was the Ford Granada Mk 3 (of 1985).

The German firm Bosch had been developing anti-lock braking technology since
the 1930s, but the first production cars using Bosch's electronic system
became available in 1978. They first appeared in trucks and the
Mercedes-Benz S-Class. ABS Systems were later introduced on motorcycles

Coasty