Old July 19th 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

Default Visual Differences Between Cast Iron & Forged Steel Crankshafts

> wrote

> > Look at the parting line on the crankshaft. A wide line that isn't in
> > line over the length of the crank, with grind marks means a forged crank
> > while a narrow line that runs inline down the crank is a cast crank.

> Could you explain what exactly is the "parting line"? I am sorry but
> often there is a language barrier... Thanks!

You want to cast something? You need a mold. Where the halves of the
mold join, there will be a "parting line".

You want to forge it instead? Shoot a straight hunk of steel between two
dies, then pound the crap out of it until it's sort of crankshaft-shaped, then
twist it so the journals end up where they're supposed to be. This tends to
shift and deform the "parting line" created by first pounding all over the place.

Start here (pretty pictures and everything):
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._to/index.html