Old March 9th 05, 07:06 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:50:35 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Any suggestions on how to get the best deal with poor negotiating
>>> skills?

>>http://www.fightingchance.com
>>
>>HIGHLY recommended.

> Did they ever get their delivery process fixed?
>
> The one time I tried to use that service, they sent the results to me
> as a gigantic email file attachment, which of course never made it.
> The guy didn't seem to think it was a problem worth fixing, and he
> couldn't be bothered to, say, let customers download their report
> files from his web site or anything like normal e-businesses do, so I
> just got a refund.
>
> That was a few years ago, however, so hopefully they've gotten a
> little smarter since then.

Well, that sucks. When I bought it, I was having trouble with my ISP--I
couldn't download large attachments (they got sued over that, but that's
another story) so I got the fax instead. It was frigging huge alright, but
still useful. If I had tried to download this thing it would have crashed
my system for sure.

For example, when people used his system to buy a car, they would write back
with a purchase report. They'd say what make and model car they'd bought
where for what price, and how far over factory invoice they'd paid. Knowing
your car's (in my wife's case, a Grand Am) actual going rate and popularity
in your neighborhood and around the country was valuable info. FI and MSRP
comparisons are in monthly car buying magazines, sold on any bookstand.
They show FI in one column and MSRP right next to it.

At the time I used Fighting Chance, they charged something like $17 for the
fax, which I found out about by buying his book for like $15. It's gotta be
more now, but I'd pay double that, or more. Compare that to saving
thousands below whatever deal they offered me.

I spent a total of around $75 and 4.5 month's research on that purchase.
Lots of work, but it paid off in the end. Not just in saving money, but in
the sweet smell of smug that comes from turning the tables on the sales
hawks.