Old March 3rd 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.misc

Default engine pinging sound - 97 Accord 165K

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My car has been running quite well for a while. However recently during
> a road trip in Vegas, my engine is pinging when I accelerate. I had a
> full tuneup about 10K ago and an oil change about 2K ago. I thought it
> was bad gas (I always use 87) and have been filling up with Chevron
> lately, but I filled up (from close to an empty tank) at another
> station and the pinging isn't gone. Does anyone know what can cause
> engine pinging and what can be done?
> Thanks

As Curly says, a lot depends on what was done at the tuneup. The most likely
culprits are that the ignition timing was set too far advanced ( a couple
degrees would do it) or the spark plugs were replaced with a set that are
too "hot." Plugs in the wrong heat range can ignite the charge before the
spark fires if the engine is pushed hard.

Don't ignore this - "pinging" does serious damage if allowed to continue.

Mike