Old January 16th 05, 05:28 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:

> Hell, nobody's dealing with the fact that a car at the 90th percentile is going
> to make 1800 lane changes over a long trip that causes him to encounter 2000
> other cars, as opposed to the fact that he'd only make 200 lane changes by
> simply staying left, either.

You're ducking the point. But your 30th percentile driver will get left
and stay left too driving the way you do. Then he finds another 30th
precentile driver in the right lane and a clump is caused.

> A lane change, or _any_ other overt act, carries a possibility of going wrong
> and resulting in an accident. Avoiding accidents is a matter of reducing risk
> wherever possilble. NOT hopping back and forth, back and forth is one of the
> ways...

Being on the road does that. Passing does that. To meet your
requirements, everyone must drive the same speed, which I am sure you
want to pick, and be spread across all lanes. The only way to maintain
road capacity or reduce it as little as possible is cram everyone
together tightly. Which will happen anyway when everyone is limited to
the same speed naturally. You hate clumps but argue for the kind of
driving that creates clumps.

May you only encounter drivers like yourself, but slower. This means
you'll always be in clumps regardless of which lane you choose.