Old January 16th 05, 05:40 PM
Dave Head

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:28:52 -0600, (Brent
P) wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>
>> Hell, nobody's dealing with the fact that a car at the 90th percentile is going
>> to make 1800 lane changes over a long trip that causes him to encounter 2000
>> other cars, as opposed to the fact that he'd only make 200 lane changes by
>> simply staying left, either.

>You're ducking the point. But your 30th percentile driver will get left
>and stay left too driving the way you do.

I can't help that. I wouldn't do it. But if he does, I don't have the least
qualm about passing his ass on the right, without hesitation.

>Then he finds another 30th
>precentile driver in the right lane and a clump is caused.

Only if he slows down to match the other's speed. If he doesn't, he'll go
right on by... unless...

the driver in the right lane speeds up! I accumulate some fininte number of
ducklings in _that_ manner, too. Those I scrape off at the next slower car in
the right lane, tho.

>> A lane change, or _any_ other overt act, carries a possibility of going wrong
>> and resulting in an accident. Avoiding accidents is a matter of reducing risk
>> wherever possilble. NOT hopping back and forth, back and forth is one of the
>> ways...

>Being on the road does that. Passing does that. To meet your
>requirements, everyone must drive the same speed,

Noooo.... not what I'm advocating at all, no matter how you want to twist it to
suit your argument.

>which I am sure you
>want to pick, and be spread across all lanes. The only way to maintain
>road capacity or reduce it as little as possible is cram everyone
>together tightly.

I'm against that, unless all vehicles are under automatic control, as in a
train, or computerized individual vehicles. Those vehicles are not currently
viable.

>Which will happen anyway when everyone is limited to
>the same speed naturally. You hate clumps but argue for the kind of
>driving that creates clumps.

Nope. You're not understanding - catch someone, pass 'em. If you were fast
enough to catch 'em, you should be fast enough to pass 'em. Don't slow down.

>May you only encounter drivers like yourself, but slower. This means
>you'll always be in clumps regardless of which lane you choose.

Doesn't work that way. I drive so there is always room to pass - I don't
_ever_ drive beside someone else unless there's absolultely no choice - IOW, my
way ahead is blocked. Otherwise, everyone has the opportunity to go around on
the right, which is what I would do to someone driving in that manner that I
caught.