Old July 25th 05, 11:38 PM
Dave

In article . com>, "Jeff" > wrote:

>If Honda is advertising it at 47/48 mpg, I'd like to know if something
>can be tweaked to reach that mark. Should I just sit back and say
>"well, 40 isn't too bad"? Hell no. If I'm going to pay the extra few
>grand to get the Hybrid over the standard Civic, I want a return on my
>investment.

There is no guarantee that you will get the 47/48. Those numbers
are based on standardized tests that won't necessarily be
reflective of how you drive, nor where you drive.

Having said that, it does seem that hybrids miss their EPA sticker
MPG by a higher pct than do other vehicles. And I can certainly
see why the buyer of such a car might be miffed. However, there
are reasons why a hybrid might miss by mo the hybrid power
management strategy is more highly dependent on the drive schedule
it is tweaked for than the normal transmission/vehicle strategy in
a conventional vehicle. A high mpg vehicle will be impacted more
by turning on A/C, or opening windows, or any similar since it
consumed so little fuel otherwise.

Last, consider how much extra fuel is consumed if you get "only"
40 mpg vs 48. Over 12,000 mi/yr, it would consume 50 gallons
more. A gallon/week. That's equivalent to a 24 MPG rated vehicle
only delivering 22.

I think we would benefit from the EPA's certification cycle more
closely resembing "typical" (whatever that is) driving. So that
hybrids would more likely be tweaked for, and approach, real world
MPG. So I hear your lament. But I also can see why some would
not be terribly concerned about the differences between 48
(rated) and 40 (real) mpg.