Old September 7th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Speed limits on gravel roads?

On 7 Sep 2006 06:37:31 -0700, "morticide" > wrote:

>This question came up in a friend's letter to the editor in my hometown
>newspaper. He had inquired with the state patrol about what the speed
>limit was on county gravel roads; the response was that it's the same
>as on the highways. The writer cited an incident in which someone was
>flying down the gravel at at least 50 and hit a dog...and kept going,
>right in front of witnesses.

About the only good reason for stopping would have been to get the name of the
dog's owner, who let it run loose, so I could sue them for the damage to my car
from the collision. Maybe the local authorities might have something to say
about a cruelty to animals law, which has to have been violated by letting the
dog run loose near a road, where it was sure to get hit, sooner or later.

>I used to live on a gravel road, and anything faster than 35 on most of
>them in northern Missouri is asking for trouble (dust, control loss).
>Some locations, probably by county law, post a 35 speed limit. The
>only gravel road I know of that has a posted speed limit higher than
>that is AK 11 at 50.

35? Gimmie a break. Ever see those WRC rallies on the TV? They're doing it
on gravel roads, and hitting 130 mph. Anyone that can't do a (straight) gravel
road at the 55 mph speed limit needs some further driver education. Yeah,
there's some twisty stuff that can be a challenge, even on paved, but gravel is
only as dangerous as you make it.

Dave Head