Old January 6th 05, 06:36 PM
Jan Andersson

Joao Eliseu wrote:

> I’m thinking on upgrade my 1300 DP to a 1600 DP for 20 years...at least.
> The engine was rebuilt 12 years ago and since I made about 10 000KM (6250 miles).
> At the time I putted used pistons and cylinders because of the money, so I don’t
> need to rebuild the engine only take of the cooling surround, the heads and pistons.
> I never pull out the engine so I also don’t know if I will try to do it myself.
> I will ask the price to a guy, whish his job is beetle engines rebuilding to know
> if I will save any money.
> My questions are the following:
> 1- Do I only have to buy new cylinders pistons and heads and valves? Can I use the
> some rocker shafts and springs for example?

The 1300 heads can be machined larger for the 1600 cylinders. If they
are otherwise in good shape,
then you can keep using them.

> 2- Want tools do I need? (this is my first concern)

Uhh. That's a long list. Nothing too special, basic tools mostly.
Depending on what else you want to do.

> 3- I want to keep my stock Carb Solex 31 pic to keep the stock looking

The 1600 dual port engine came with a bigger diameter intake manifold
and 34mm carburator.

> 4- Can we feel a hard difference between a 1300 and a 1600?

I don't think there would be a BIG differnece. Better low end power, but
restricted higher rpm performance.

Jan