Old July 21st 05, 09:57 PM
Charlie Bress

"Mark" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:47:20 -0400, "jamiedee86"
> > wrote:
>
>>My dad recently rotated my tires on my 98 Ford Explorer (rear wheel drive)
>>and told me that my brake pads were like non existant. My moms mechanic
>>friend said he would only charge me labor if I gave him the parts. But I
>>am embarassed to ask what parts I need can anyone help me?

> You need brake pads. Go to your local auto parts store and tell them you
> need front and rear brake pads for a 98 Explorer. Just make sure you tell
> them if it's a V8 or V6. The pads for the V8 are larger up front. Last
> time I got pads they were something like $35 for the front pair and $29
> for
> the rear. Do yourself a favor and do not get pads that have a lifetime
> warranty. The don't wear out, but your rotors do wear. It's cheaper to
> replace pads than rotors.
>
> The mechanic friend may be able to get the parts cheaper if he's a "real"
> mechanic, but not if he's just a guy who does work out of his house.

Oh, oh! If the pads are non existent then I fear for the rotors. If the
mechanic in question has a shop and is ASE certified, ask him for a list of
needed parts. If he does not meet the requirements, go to a real shop and
get a professional job done. If you think that is expensive, consider the
costs involved if you hit somebody because you couldn't stop in time.

Charlie