Old May 30th 05, 11:59 PM
Magnulus

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> Since you don't seem to want to believe me, go to
> http://www.answers.com/topic/turbocharger and read the
> wikepedia article. Notice it talks about "increased power",
> but never mentions efficiency (other than the fact that
> the turbo actually *reduces* efficiency).

Increased power can equal increased efficiency. The two are not mutually
exclusive. If you find a way to make an engine that burns less fuel but
delivers enough power for the application, then that engine is the more
efficient.

Turbos do save fuel for diesel applications in cars and trucks. They
allow use of a smaller engine with more horespower and less fuel
consumption. It jus so happens though that modern VW turbodiesels have a
little higher fuel consumption than older VW diesels from the 70's, despite
the horsepower. But then the engines also deliver almost twice the power,
and the cars weigh about 50-75 percent more than old VW Rabbits/Golfs. Some
of those older diesels took over 20 second to reach 60 miles per hour, today
it's more like 10-11 seconds; no different than any other economy car.