Old December 5th 04, 01:09 PM
truckinsp

>Well, I couldn't find anything in your cite to support your claim about
>the highway patrol ticketing over 85 MPH, but it does have a few
>interesting things to say about Montana's period of "reasonable and
>prudent" Interstates.

>I think the summary at the beginning says most of what needs to be said:
>* Average measured speeds on urban Interstate highways remained constant
>between 55-60 mph.
>[Not surprising]

>* Average measured speeds on rural Interstate highways have been
>increasing and are currently 67 mph.
>[Not surprising]

>*Annual vehicle miles traveled increased steadily. Number of accidents
>and fatalities per million vehicle miles decreased.
>[Bingo! Despite no posted speed limit, slightly higher travel speeds,
>and VMT "increas[ing] steadily", the collision and fatality rates were
>on their way down, meaning the roads were safer for everyone]

>* The first seven months of 1997 had increases in both the number of
>fatal accidents and fatalities compared to 1996.
>[And yet the rates kept going down. This is _exactly_ why raw numbers
>aren't as good as the statistical rates]

>*Majority of fatal accidents and total accidents are occurring on
>non-Interstate highways.
>['Nuff said]

Sounds like you TOTALLY missed the point. The point is that everyone points
to Montana's experiment as a reason to increase speed limits. Even with NO
speed limits, Montanans drive slower so the median never reached the high
speeds you guys claim you drive.....and there are VERY good reasons for
that. If you've ever been to Montana, you know they have snowy weather 8
months of the year, there are no long wide open roads in MT because of the
mountains, those road that are fairly straight have high winds, etc......so
Montana experiment ISN'T a good excuse for higher speed limits......

Montana traditionally has more deaths on non-interstate roads.....you need
to look at a map....most of the small towns aren't connected by interstates
and MT's are used to driving long distances on two lane roads....hell half
the two lane roads in MT aren't even paved.....Montana also has 7
reservations and on the res's the natives do not have to follow traffic regs
so deaths are also higher on the res's....if you REALLY want to see what
it's like to live without traffic regs, move there.......

I'm from MT and my family still lives there......they are the ones that told
me they were bombarded with the messages from MHP about anything over 85 mph
not being considered reasonable and prudent.......