Old June 12th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default how to check how a lifter is bad? (Valve Noise)

Dan Buchan wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> When the engine runs it sounds like a deasel, and the sound is
>> defenitley on the entire drivers side head bank.

> Could it be the camshaft? The stuff you've been replacing would make a
> lighter ticking or tapping, not so much a knock like a diesel. Or could the
> oil feed to the hydraulics be blocked making them all fail to work?

That's a good thought. Might be worthwhile to pull the lifters and blow
compressed air back down the oil ports.
But I can't imagine anyone letting a 740i go without proper
maintenance to the point that sludge would build up.

For that matter, has the oil pressure been checked? It could be a weak
oil pump, or a problem with the pressure relieve valve so pressure is
bleeding off at idle.