Old February 25th 05, 02:21 AM

Default first BMW purchase

I'm trying to convince myself (then the wife) that spending the $$ on a BMW
is "worth it"....
I'm looking at a new X5 Diesel which is 82,000 + On roads (This is rec
retail - I'll start the haggle later if I decide to do it)
I can buy a new Toyota Landcruiser (to replace existing one we have) but
sort of "been there done that" as far as the 'cruiser goes.
Our current one is petrol (gas for USA people). and the toyota diesel is
agricultural compared to the BMW.

I'm not a wealthy person (but our business can cover the lease / HP without
a prob). But the 'fear' of driving / scratching such a valuable
vehicle does concern me a bit. esp sice I'm sure repairs will be equally
expensive (ie if you can afford a BMW you must have a pocket full
of $$ to pay for repairs etc) Having said that the BMW service costs for the
diesel are a lot less than the toyota services.

Depreciation on the cruiser is not to bad, but when I look at 3yo BMW
prices.....very minimul depreciation.
eg one I saw had some extras + some average milage, and was selling at
82,000 ie same as a new one (without O/R costs)
so assuming they sell @ that price their loss will only be cost of extras
they fitted + on road costs not bad for 3 yrs motoring.

But how do you convince yourself that your first (new) BMW was worth the
"extra"? eg I can buy 2 "normal" cars for the price of a BMW!.

Look forward to reading some thoughts. Thx in advance