Old December 13th 04, 05:41 AM
David Ross

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:06:34 -0800, David Ross >

> >> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:54 -0700, "Determinator"

> >> Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model and condition of the car
> >> to the full effect of your issue. Did the car even run?

> >Starting in January 2005, a charity receiving a donated automobile
> >and then selling it must report the sales price to the IRS and the
> >donor. The donor's itemized charitable deduction will then be
> >limited to that amount.

> Oh, that's a big change. Let me see if I get it. Rather than writing
> off the 'book value' the charity will sell the vehicle and tell you
> how much they got, so you can write off that amount?
>
> Makes me further solidify my option that car donation programs are
> tinderboxes for corruption. IMHO: Sell your car yourself, and donate
> that money directly.

That's what I've been saying for six years at
<http://www.rossde.com/donate_car.html>.

Someone with an old car wanting to make a donation has two
choices:

Donate the car to a charity; let the charity collect about 1/3 of
the car's value (the rest going to the broker who sells the car);
and risk an audit by the IRS.

or

Sell the car yourself (priced cheaply for a quick sale); give a
charity a cash donation (the charity receiving the full amount);
and get a receipt that you can show the IRS.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards. See <http://www.mozilla.org/>.