Old June 8th 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default how to check how a lifter is bad? (Valve Noise)

I have a 1995 740iL E38 series BMW, i have noise on my right side of
the engine that sounds like a tick. The sound is in the lifter/ header
area. I took it into the dealer and they were unable to give me an
exact answer other than what i suggested. I have the TSI software to
repair my BMW and it suggests the lifters.

I took the head apart and i have the lifters out too, but no one can
tell me how to tell how much play there is supose to be in the lifter,
even the BMW mechanics. The software tells how to test them while still
in the engine, and i pushed on each one like it says, but didn't really
get any play on all 16 on that side.

When i pushed on the lifter (the underneath, and while out of the head)
and i can push that middle in all the way till it stops. When it stops
it feels like it is bottoming out.

Can anyone give me an exact answer on how to check how a lifter is bad?