Old February 3rd 08, 05:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
veedubin69

Default Audi A4 timing belt replacement - letter from dealer

jamr;59164 Wrote:
> i worked for audi as a senior technician for a lot of years and my
> experiance with the pd 1.9 engines is the belt should be changed with in
> the five years or 60,000 miles, due to the extra strain on belts
> nowadays i have seen them starting to split within this period. i am now
> a mobile mechanic and still enforce this belief, i also recomend the
> water pump to be changed at the same time, again with experiance with
> audi and also other manufactures, the strain with a new belt puts added
> strain on the bearing and within 20,000 miles the pump will have to be
> replaced which means the belt will have to be rmoved again in which case
> costing you a considerable sum off money. your audi dealler are only
> thinking of your wellfair and pocket and i must praise them for
> contacting you and letting you know, as not all do and customers end up
> with snapped belts

I couldn't agree more, I have 2002 A4 with 76,000kms and the belt was
cracked at70,000kms. Yes the service is expensive but so is a new
enginge. These are interference motors, I'd rather stretch the service
bill than buy a new car. I've seen the service done before, I'd imagine
the diesel motors are similar to petrol, the front clip needs to come
off & down for the service position, and if you can afford a water pump,
do it cause it's right there, the plastic impellar on the factory
installed water pump usally fail over time, upgrade to a metal impellar
water pump, it's even cheaper than the OEM factory pump.

--
veedubin69
veedubin69's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2903