Old June 5th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.driving,rec.arts.tv

Default Guy in Viper: Because I'm compensating for my "shortcomings"

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> fruitbat wrote:
> >
> > "low ego emissions" does not at all mean "low self-esteem". They're
> > trying to appeal to people who think they're mature/secure enough not
> > to need to show off with a car that compensates for their various
> > emotional problems... i.e. people that buy a car because they like it
> > or it makes sense, not because it makes them look good.

> Bingo. I bought a Jetta because it gets 50 miles per gallon. It looks
> decent, has plenty of room, and saves money.

All good reasons. Why don't they say that instead of lowest ego emissions?
And the new Jetta commercials are horrid! I don't associate Jetta's with
hiking, yoga, or dancing. I associate them with young girls and old guys
(old guys seem to love the diesels). I also associate them with repair
horror stories (my Sister owned a Jetta once, my other Sister owned a Passat
once - both are now cured of the VW disease). Decent driving qualities,
reasonable room, and good safety ratings seem to be the best reasons for
buying a VW. If cost or fuel mileage were the major reasons for owning one,
then there are better choices (in my opinion). For instance why a Jetta
instead of a Corolla? Unless you get the Jetta diesel, the Corolla gets
better fuel economy, is claimed to be far more reliable, and you can
probably buy it for less. On the other hand I am sure the VW will be better
for spirited driving and be roomier. However, the people that like the "low
ego emissions ad," don't seem like the sort that will care about the
spirited driving or worry about the boring aspects of a Corolla or Camry.

Ed