Old July 5th 04, 10:43 PM
John West Berks

Ive got the same model tho its a 99 year. 112k miles and had it since new.

The fault is exactly the same.

Audi 1st replaced the sender at 35k miles for free. It failed again at 80k
and they wanted £150 to put a new sender in. Ive just lived with it and
always use the trip meter to calculate tank.

The 2.8 will do 328 miles on a full talk before it splutters to a halt!
(and I know that for sure as it happened to me)

Now I always carry a spare gallon in the back and always fill up when I get
to 300 on the trip meter.

Ive seen the post already shown about the repair, Im just wary of opening up
the fuel tank due to the obvious fire risk. Plus if you dont have the right
tools and dont seal it properly afterwards you will have a petrol smell
inthe car for ever, as the hatch is below the rear seat cusion.

Cheers,
John.