Old March 11th 05, 12:51 AM
Jim Yanik

Big Bill > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:46:39 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:
>
>>Just to save you some time, here's another equally-useless attempts at
>>exhaust noise control laws:
>>
>>"No vehicle shall have an exhaust tailpipe or outlet that is of a larger
>>size than original equipment". Terrific, what if I install a system on my
>>'71 Volvo that has a 2-1/4" tailpipe, but is *quieter* than the original
>>system with its 1-7/8" tailpipe? Bzzt, doesn't work.
>>
>>Next idea?

> As I understand it, California has (or had) rules that actually would
> prevent a user from making his vehicle pollute *less* than the stock
> setup.
> You can't (or couldn't) put on a dual exhaust with dual cats on a
> vehicle that had a single cat as stock, because it modified the stock
> emissions setup.
> Germany also has very strict rules on replacement parts; there you
> really can't put on a muffler that is deemed to not act as the stock
> muffler. And don't try putting on different handlebars on your bike if
> it's registered in Germany; that's stictly illegal.
> Such rules do exist. :-(

Would the dual cats actually reduce emissions? They might never heat up
enough to do their job.

On one hand,I like to modify my car as much as the next guy.
OTOH,I really dislike the noise coming from some cars and motorcycles.
Especially late at night,when they wake me up from a solid sleep,even with
windows closed,right thru the walls.

I honestly do not believe there -has- to be a "objective
standard",especially as measuring it on a passing car presents problems.
Maybe just a "reasonable man" standard.

Also,police already are unwilling to give citations for most
infractions,getting them to write up noisy cars/trucks/MCs is fantasyland.
And most states no longer do vehicle inspections where such things would be
caught.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik