Old March 11th 05, 02:35 AM
Harry K

N8N wrote:
> Harry K wrote:
> > Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> > noisier
> > >
> > > That's a nonstarter. If Chrysler will no longer sell me a muffler

> for
> > my
> > > 1962 Dodge, and so I install a Walker or Goerlich aftermarket

> > replacement,
> > > and it's even fractionally louder than the original 1962 item, my

> car
> > > flunks your poorly-thought-out standard of "noise pollution". If

> > install
> > > a muffler on my truck that's louder than the original BUT no

louder
> > than
> > > some other vehicle with a factory muffler, my truck flunks your
> > > ill-considered standard of "noise pollution".
> > >
> > > And if the standard is "no noisier than original equipment", then

> > who's
> > > going to collect and maintain the necessary database of noise

> levels
> > from
> > > all the different OE variants of all the different models of all

> the
> > > different cars over the years? And what's the standard, is it

"when
> > the
> > > car is brand new"? Is it "When the car is 3 years old"? Is it

"When
> > the
> > > car is driven by at 30mph, measured at street level 10 feet

away"?
> Is
> > it
> > > "When the car is revved in Neutral, measured 2 feet from the

> > tailpipe"?
> > >
> > > And what kind of sound meters are we going to equip cops with to

> > measure
> > > exhaust noise objectively? You and I both know what's too noisy

and
> > what's
> > > not, but that's unconsitutionally vague and leaving it to the

> > discretion
> > > of individual cops is fraught with unintended consequences.
> > >
> > > Just to save you some time, here's another equally-useless

attempts
> > at
> > > exhaust noise control laws:
> > >
> > > "No vehicle shall have an exhaust tailpipe or outlet that is of a

> > larger
> > > size than original equipment". Terrific, what if I install a

system
> > on my
> > > '71 Volvo that has a 2-1/4" tailpipe, but is *quieter* than the

> > original
> > > system with its 1-7/8" tailpipe? Bzzt, doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Next idea?
> > >
> > > DS

> > The standard should be 'not to exceed db--- (whatever) at ---

feet.'
> > Why it exceeded the level has no bearing on it. If it could pass

> when
> > new but now doesn't - fix it or pay the ticket.
> >
> > I agree that standards based on size or brand of original equipment
> > would be a nonstarter.
> >
> > Harry K

> OK, just to be argumentative, how would you allow for vehicles like

an
> Avanti (factory duals, glasspacks, no crossover) or a 60's Corvette

or
> Cobra with factory sidepipes? Whatever standard you picked, if it

made
> the busybodies happy, some stock vehicles would suddenly become
> illegal.
>
> I've always wondered, but never had the chance to find out, what
> happens when you try to register an Avanti in a state where

glasspacks
> are illegal?
>
> nate

No matter how you set the standard it is possible to come up with an
exception, usually very rare (like your examples). Standards
could/would and does work as shown by places that have them. If you
felt you were unfairly ticketed you have the option of explaining it to
the judge...hah, good luck with that. The point is if you are going to
have an ordinance, you have to have a standard and one that does not
leave it to the descretion of the LEO as to whether or not it was
violated. Doesn't mean he -has- to issue a ticket, just that -he-
doesn't have to decide was it or was it not a violation. There are a
multitude of noise ordinances across the country, most of them not
enforced IME.

Harry K