Old September 3rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

Default 97 vw jetta

I personally don't have an automatic. VW automatics are generally not at
long term reliable as manual transmissions. However I believe the newer
heavier duty diesel automatics and those associated with turbo engines
seem to be heavier duty. You don't mention what kind of engine so I
am assuming you have an 2.0L.

The recent service could have produced these problems. You can try to
reset the transmission learning mode with a VAGCOM or other OBD-II
VW compatible. This might help the tranny learn how to shift properly
again.

Who serviced the tranny? VW dealer? Local shop? You? That year you can
still check the tranny fluild with a dipstick? Check it when it's at
operating temp. Have the tranny reset with the OBD and take it for a
highway cruise. Have a cell phone handy just in case. You will know
soon if it will settle down or if it is still having issues.

In article <65a4e7982a61f@uwe>, dannyT via CarKB.com <u24428@uwe> wrote:
>Auto transmission, recently serviced but did not fix the problem i was having.
>The car will not go when in R or D until car reaches operating temp then it
>is jumpy at start and shifts roughly into second. Had serviced cause i
>thought it might have been trans fluid and filter but did not fix the problem.
>Any advice?
>
>--

Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...